Hall of Justice
Los Angeles County’s historic Hall of Justice was constructed in 1925 and is a cornerstone of Los Angeles’ Civic Center. The building originally contained a courthouse, sheriff’s department, jail, and morgue. After suffering damage in the 1994 Northridge earthquake the building was vacated, and has now been thoroughly updated as headquarters of the County’s sheriff and district attorney. Bringing these functions back to a downtown civic center is a great contribution to the life of the historic heart of the city.
HRG provided historic preservation consulting services beginning shortly after the Northridge earthquake in 1994 and continuing through monitoring of construction prior to the reopening in 2014. The project included historic assessment to define the building’s significance and significant features; review of proposer and bidder qualifications to ensure appropriate methods were employed in the rehabilitation work, including abatement of hazardous materials, seismic repairs and strengthening; and accessibility improvements. HRG participated in design consultation, assisted with historic code application, advised on architectural materials conservation, and provided documentation to Historic American Building Survey (HABS) standards.
Photo: Victor Muschetto Photography